Thursday, October 28, 2010

No Tricks, Please... A week of Halloween - Day 3

No line today.  Just musings.

For our family, picking out our Halloween costumes is usually a long, arduous task.  Homemade, it takes planning and time.  Lots of love, sweat and tears go into these things.  They are things that I hope one day will be passed on to my grandchildren.  You know, in 20 years.

So about February I start asking the kids what they want to be this year.  I offer suggestions and usually try to get everybody to agree on a theme for the whole family, like zombies or 7 dwarfs or pirates.  Not a chance.  In fact, nailing down what they are going to be comes down to the last possible minute resulting in a mad sewing marathon.  And there's usually a few frustrated protests during fittings of "why can't we just buy our costumes?"

This year things are so crazy busy with school that handmade costumes were going to be tough.  So I gave in out of necessity and store-bought it is.  Having children has given me the perfect opportunity to dress them up however I want.  Especially when they're too little to protest much about being embarrassed.  

I'm already thinking about next year when I'll have time to bring out the sewing machine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment