Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why this blog exists.

Over the years as a parent, I've said many things I never thought I would have to say; things that you think go without saying.  It goes beyond the whole "because I said so" I sound just like my mother thing.  I realized that my family was going to be a grand adventure the day I told my daughter Chloe, then 2, "No, don't put the bologna on your face!"  All kids say cute things and things that leave you totally nonplussed.  But when you multiply that times 5 kids and 2 very wacky adults, well...  this is what you get.  

Let me introduce you to our family.  There's Rob and myself, no need to disclose ages there, right?  Megan, about to turn 17, nicknames: Mouse and MegaMouse.  Riley is 7, aka Roo.  Chloe, age 6, answers to Worm or Co-Co.  Anna, 4, goes by Annabelle or Annabelly.  Christopher is almost 3 and will answer to anything but is usually Topher, Topheroni, or Roni.  And then Anna and Topher both refer to Chloe and Riley collectively as "Chlo-Riley" and that's sorta stuck, and now there's Anni-Fer or Toph-Anna.  We are definitely a nickname family.  You can see our mugs by clicking on the links above or in the slideshow.  I would post a family picture here but it's an impossibility to get all of us to be still long enough to get into one shot without it winding up with 7 blurry blobs.

As you can see, we have a wide age range.  We also have a very small amount of space and privacy is a very precious commodity attained usually only when the kids are away on weekend visitation.  These things contribute a lot to the things that are so funny.  The little kids will mock the bigger ones, the bigger ones try to teach the little ones how to do something.  If it's from one of us "grown-ups" it's probably because the kids are doing something so off-the-wall it results in an insane command. 

We've been looking for a way to record these moments for posterity.  I don't consider that anything I might have to say is "blog-worthy" but it does provide a more creative way than keeping a journal I'll never write in.  There's a lot of "line of the day" moments to catch up on so keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment